6/13/08

Foxy Lady / What's Up, Fox?/ Fox, What Are You Doing?

Icysnowqueen is back. I wasn't that busy but I was busy struggling with life.
Recently, I found some motivation to continue with my Snow Palace blog.
Two simple reasons:
1. Hyun Bin is going to deliver a new show.
2. I fall in love with a new actor : Chun Jung Myung or Cheon Jeong Myeong while watching Foxy Lady.
I started watching Foxy Lady because it was known that Hyun Bin rejected this show which was specially drafted for him to go for Snow Queen.
I wanted to know why he rejected a show which turned out to be more popular than Snow Queen.
After watching the show, I feel that Hyun Bin did the right thing to reject the show. The character in the show doesn't suit his style.
After watching Snow Queen, anyone will know that Hyun Bin wants to become a professional actor, not a super star.
Foxy Lady will only fit him back to the My Name is Kim Sam Soon character which was already a combination his earlier acts in Ireland and Bodyguard.
Anyway, the lead actor in Foxy Lady, Cheon Jeong Myeong or Chun Jung Myung did it superbly well that I couldn't fit Hyun Bin into the same role.

Here's my review of the show:


This show has so many different titles: Foxy Lady/ What's Up, Fox?/ Fox, What Are You Doing?

Synopsis:

The show started with a sleazy but funny sex scene. Ko Byeong-hee, (Ko Hyun Jung) as a writer for a man's magazine, was trying to write a x-rated article. Afterwhich she tried to act sexy in front of the mirror and being caught red-handed by Dr Bae (Cho Yeon-woo) who was there to look for his friend, the owner of the company.
Well, it is obviously meant to be a comedy or so I thought. At the end of it, I saw it as a romantic comedy.
Ms Ko was 33 year-old and a virgin. Yet each day she had to write sleazy articles. Her boss thought of her an experienced player. Only Dr Bae saw that she wasn't. Her fake front was saw through by Dr Bae who later fell in love with her. They started dating. Well, all seemed well, but before Dr Bae and Ms Ko were together, Ms Ko did something that she wished it would be a secret forever.
It was this secret that brought the whole story to life. Ms Ko sle
pt with Park Cheol-su (Chun Jung Myung) when she was very drunk.
Cheol-su was a 24 year-old man, the brother of her best friend. Cheol-su and Byeong-hee grew up together with a 9 year gap. She always regarded him as a little brother.
Why did they sleep together? She was drunk. Cheol-su was not. He allowed it. Why?
In the show, right from the start, Cheol-su was depicted as a free-spirited and cheeky man. It was easy to think that he was being a man when he had sex with Byeong-hee. However, that was far from the truth.
As the story unfolded through the episodes, it was clear that Cheol-su had always been in love with Byeong-hee. His outrageous determination and love for Byeong-hee finally got her to him.
With the 9 year gap, they had an uphill task convincing people that they could be together.
I shall leave the ending to you.

Plot: 5/5
I would highly recommend this show to anyone who likes romance and something light-hearted. I love the way the plot gradually reveals Cheol-su's long standing love for Byeong-hee. I love the way the whole story unfolds its theme. I love the way the whole script challenges the boundary of age in love. I love the way the producer put in other characters to make the story more interesting. I love the humour. I love the casting. It is one of the most enjoyable K-dramas I have watched.




Chun Jung Myung as Park Cheol-su
Acting: 5/5
Though I would think that Ko Byeong-hee, (Ko Hyun Jung) has a bigger share of the scene-shots and is the lead of the lead actors/actresses. However, I would really love to cover Chun Jung Myung first.
His acting is really superb in this show. He is able to portray the cheeky and free-spirited personality at the beginning of the show. All thanks to his million-watt smile. His smiles can be cheeky, sweet, goofy or warm. You name it, he can deliver it. The best part is that the same smile can become cold, helpless, cynical and mean. He delivers them all.
If you think his smile is his only assets, you will be so wrong. He will sweep you off the ground with his eyes. His eyes can talk. His eyes can tell you that he is sad, happy or excited. When he frowns, you will frown with him.
I have just finished his other work, "Goodbye Solo". I cried with him. I will do a review of that show soon and I don't have to explain why I picked that show.
In this show, he really did a fantastic job.
One could easily see his deep hurt when Byeong-hee said that she loved Dr Bae when he tried to stop her from meeting Dr Bae. That scene was one of my favourites. He didn't say a word, he didn't shed a tear but the pain was obvious on his face.
I would say he made the story of Byeong-hee leaving Dr Bae for him more believable. His portray of Cheol-su made the story alive, made Cheol-su alive.
I think this guy is an actor. He will not be a super star. He will go on acting and winning people over because of his acting.
Oh, I cannot leave out his very good figure, can
I? Being a graduate with Physical Education degree, he can boast of his great body easily.
Watch the show for him. It is worth it.
Click on the below for more of him:

Chun Jung Myung / Cheon Jeong Myeong






Ko Hyun Jung as Ko Byeong-hee
Acting: 4/5
I am giving a 4 out of 5 for a few reasons. She could have gotten lower if not for her few strengths.
Let me just explain myself. There were a quite few scenes whereby she had to act sweetly in love, I thought she didn't do it every well.
If I compare her way of handling and Kim Sun-ah's way of handling a mature woman crazily in love, I must say that she fared quite badly.
In Sun-ah's acting, one would just feel that's the way mature women would be when they are in love, a little act-cute yet with some concerns.

Hyun Jung here made me a little uncomfortable because I thought she overdid the act-cute portion.
However, Hyun Jung has her convincing moments for this show. When she cried, I felt she really cried her hearts out. I like that. I like her acting whenever she confronts Cheol-su.
Her skin and complexion is very good for a mother of two and a 35 year-old when she filmed this show. She was already divorced then. Her complexion is really well-maintained. This makes her very convincing.
Perhaps it was the fact that she is heavily-laden in real life itself, she had no difficulty looking troubled and sad. However, acting as if she is madly in love was a little challenging for her I guess.
Overall, I still like her enough to give her a high rating.





Cho Yeon-woo as Bae Hee-myeong
Acting: 3/5

Is it the role or is it him? I do not know. There is something very superficial about his acting. It could be the role. Afterall Dr Bae is someone who doesn't display much emotions or is a very contained person.
His acting didn't leave much impression. However, he is a likeable character. He didn't make things difficult for Cheol-su and Byeong-hee to be together.
His wholesome look fits Dr Bae's image well. He has a nice smile but at times, I find his smiles so fake.
He may play an important role because without him, Byeong-hee's love for Cheol-su will not take so long to develop, but I really don't remember any dramatic parts involving him. Perhaps other characters took the limelight.





Kim Eun-joo as Ko Jun-hee
Acting: 5/5
I didn't have any difficulty believing her as Jun-hee in the show, an aspiring model, a young adult with a strong will and a mind of her own, a lady who is in love with a man who is 17 year her senior...
I find her acting very natural. She brings life to the character. Her chemistry with Son Hyun Joo who is her love interest in the show is superb.
I think Jun-hee and Park Byeong Gak's relationship (Son Hyun Joo) stole the show too.
By the end of the show, I want them to be together. I find them cute together. Imagine this, they are actually 20 years apart in real life. Yet after watching the show, I think it is possible for the two characters to be together and that they really love each other. That's how good their acting is.





Sun Hyun Joo/Son Hyun-Ju as Park Byeong-gak
Acting: 5/5
I never thought that I would ever think this uncle is cute. However, he has managed to convince me that he is cute in the show.
I like his natural acting totally. He makes his relationship with Jun-hee really believable. I think if this pair didn't act well, it would be rather disgusting. However, they won the battle.
I don't think this role was easy for an actor with a certain image attached to him. He managed the role so well that you would really believe that he is like that.

Overall: 5/5
I have watched this show 3 times. I still like it. I find the chemistry between actors and actresses great. The theme to challenge age in relationships is subtly done. The humour is there. The depth of feelings is there. Romance is there. I really think it is worth the money and time.
I only bring in 5 characters in the show. You may find some other interesting characters in the show.

1 comment:

PiXiEleyn said...

Hi there. i also liked this... so far so good. I'm almost finished with the series.
i enjoyed your enligtening comment about this series. good job!
if you have time; please direct me to link/s so i can also listen to the ost of (this series).
also do you have any suggestions for other taiwanese/koreanovelas that are light/romantic/funny.

more power!